I cannot impress enough how strongly I feel about incorporating copious amounts of vegetables into my daily life. They’re fresh, they’re beautiful, and of course, energizing, as well! So, what’s the problem? Sometimes, I end up with an overload of incredible vegetables and so I have begun baking these types of side dishes that are not only satisfying, but loaded to the gills with fiber and important nutrients that every person needs and deserves. These even heat up nicely as leftovers, and help me to use all of my favorite veggies that I often buy too much of. Not to mention, that having a variety of seasonal vegetables makes any guest feel like you really put extra care into your meal and creates a feeling of welcomeness. (Also, keep in mind that it is totally fine to improvise by adding or subtracting ingredients based on personal preference and availability of ingredients.)
What you will need (I suggest):
- Two large sweet potatoes
- One medium butternut squash or 1/2 large butternut squash
- 3 small zucchini
- 3 small yellow squash
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium onions of choice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5-6 long rosemary sprigs
- Small handful of basil leaves
- Small handful of parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop sweet potatoes, both kinds of squash, onions, and zucchini and mix into a large bowl.
- Spread veggies from mix in Step 2 onto two baking sheets, drizzle with olive oil and season. Bake mixture for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are beginning to appear golden.
- While first mixture is baking, chop rosemary, basil, and parsley into a mixture in a small bowl. Add more of these herbs if desired to strengthen flavor of final product.
- Add cherry tomatoes to mixture, and toss with a light amount of olive oil.
- After first mixture has baked, spread second mixture and mix into the first on the baking sheets. Return to oven and and bake for an additional 13-15 minutes. (The reason for adding the herbs and tomatoes last is to bake in the flavor of the herbs without scorching them.)
- Finally, remove from oven and enjoy has a perfect Autumn side dish. 🙂